Eric Metois, Ph.D.
Eric Metois has over 20 years experience as an R&D algorithm and software developer and his
contributions have been the objects of several patents filings.
He is currently Chief Scientist for Postea, where he designs,
implements and maintains computer vision algorithms for dimensioning systems.
Prior to Postea Eric operated as a consultant / independent contractor over a period of 8 years.
His expertise, creativity and analytical problem skills have been used in a wide variety of
applications ranging from interactive music and video games to security technologies and computer
vision. He has worked with a variety of clients from small startups to Warner Brothers Records
Eric was also Escher Group Ltd's Director of Strategic Research.
There he focused primarily on the theme of Intelligent Documents. He made
several improvements to the company's FiberFingerprinting technology (a means to
effectively fingerprint a substrate) and invented a novel,
high-performance and versatile 2D symbology, branded as SpectraSeal,
both of which being the objects of pending patents.
Prior to joining Escher, Eric had been part of the research and development team of
Verance Corporation (formerly ARIS Technologies) since
January 1997. There, he co-invented MusiCode, a transparent yet robust audio watermarking
technology, which was subsequently selected as the worldwide industry standard for DVD Audio copy
control and for Phase One of the Secure Digital
Music Initiative (SDMI) in 1999. Since then, the technology has been integrated within a
variety of consumer electronic devices. It is also at the basis of
Confirmedia, Verance's comprehensive system for
monitoring broadcast media.
Eric received his PhD under Prof. Tod Machover
from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Media Lab
in 1997. There, he played a major role in the design and development of several interactive
installations and musical sound analysis algorithms. His PhD research, in collaboration with
Prof. Neil Gershenfeld, led to "Cluster-Based
Embedding Modeling", for which a patent was subsequently issued in 1999. His Ph.D. dissertation,
"Musical Sound Information - Musical gestures and embedding synthesis",
investigated means of applying these principles to the inference of dynamical sound synthesis
algorithms from recorded waveforms, where the control set of the virtual instrument is perceptually
Eric also holds a "Diplome d'ingnieur" from the "Ecole Nationale
Suprieure des Tlcommunications" (ENST, Paris - France) where he studied Electrical
Engineering with a major in Signal Processing. He has also been a visiting researcher at the
University of Luminy's CRMC2 (Marseille - France),
UC Berkeley's Center for New Music and Audio Technologies
(CNMAT, Berkeley), and the "Centre d'Etude et de Recherche des Tlcommunications" (Toulon - France).
- E. Metois, P.M. Yarin, N. Salzman, J.R. Smith - FiberFingerprint Identification - Proceedings of AutoID'02, 14-15 March 2002, Tarrytown, New York.
- R. Petrovic, J.M. Winograd, K. Jemili, E. Metois - Data Hiding within Audio Signals - Facta Universitatis (NIS), Series: Electronics and Energetics vol.12, No.2 (1999), pp.103-122.
- N. Gershenfeld, B. Schoner, E. Metois - Cluster-Weighted-Modeling for Time Series Analysis - Letter to Nature vol. 397 no. 6717, 1999.
- E. Metois. Musical Gestures and Audio Effects Processing - DAFX proceedings 1998.
- E. Metois. Musical Sound Information - Musical Gestures and Embedding Synthesis - Ph.D. thesis, MIT Media Laboratory, 1996.
- E. Metois, M. Back - BROWeb: An Interactive, Collaborative Auditory Environment on the World Wide Web - ICAD proceedings 1996
- W. Oliver, J. Yu, E. Metois - The singing tree, design of an interactive musical interface - ACM SIGCHI (DIS'97).
White papers and other miscellaneous writings
- E. Metois, S. Ludmann - Apparatus, systems and methods for enrollment of irregular shaped objects - Filed Aug 11, 2014 - US20150042791A1
- M. Murphy, P. Yarin, E. Metois, W. Crosby, W. Pearce, M. Durbin - Enrollment apparatus, system, and method - Issued Feb 4, 2014 - US 8645216 B2
- J. R. Smith, P. M. Yarin, M. J. Murphy, A. V. Sutherland, E. Metois - System for personal mail piece tracking and tracing from multiple sources by user identifier - Issued Sep 3, 2013 - US8527284B2
- E. Metois - Hand held dimension capture apparatus, system, and method - Filed May 13, 2013 - WO2013170260A1
- M. Murphy, P. Yarin, E. Metois, W. Crosby, W. Pearce, M. Durbin - Enrollment apparatus, system, and method featuring three dimensional camera - Filed May 11, 2012 - US20140351073A1
- E. Metois, J. Wolosewicz, M. Shull - Detecting online abuse in images - Issued Apr 12, 2011 - US7925044B2
- M. Murphy, P. Yarin, E. Metois, W. Crosby, W. Pearce, M. Durbin - User interface management - Filed Jul 22, 2009 - WO2010011755A1
- M. Murphy, P. Yarin, E. Metois, W. Crosby, W. Pearce, M. Durbin - Enrollment apparatus, system, and method - Filed Nov 26, 2008 - EP2217982A4
- F. K. Weigand, A. J. Bradley, J. Anderson, G. T. Manville, P. Yarin, E. Metois, G. Rude - Transport vehicle having tension/compression system - Filed Dec 4, 2007 - US20090142173A1
- F. K. Weigand, A. J. Bradley, J. Anderson, G. T. Manville, P. Yarin, E. Metois, G. Rude - System and method for maintaining the relative distance between two vehicles - Filed Dec 3, 2007 - US20090143985A1
- R. Petrovic, K. Jemili, J. M. Winograd, E. Metois - Apparatus and method for embedding and re-extraction of information in analog signals with use of the distributed signal characteristics - Issued Sep 21, 2006 - DE69835521D1
- E. Metois, R. Petrovic, K. Jemili - Method and apparatus for detecting processing stages applied to a signal - Issued May 16, 2006 - US7046808B1
- A. Rigopulos, E. Egozy, D. Schmidt, E. Metois, G. LoPiccolo - Method and apparatus for controlling a three-dimensional character in a three-dimensional gaming environment - Filed Jul 26, 2004 - US20050215319A1
- E. Metois - Encoding and decoding data using angular symbology and beacons - Filed Apr 9, 2003 - WO2003087990A3
- E. Metois, J. Smith, P. Yarin - Data encoding and workpiece authentication using halftone information - Filed Sep 25, 2002 - US20030197878A1
- J. R. Smith, E. Metois, M. J. Murphy - System and method for authentication and tracking of a workpiece - Filed Sep 6, 2002 - WO2003030105A2
- J. Smith, E. Metois, M. Murphy - System and method for authentication and tracking of a workpiece that includes an optically active medium - Filed Sep 6, 2002 - US20030063772A1
- J. R. Smith, P. M. Yarin, M. J. Murphy, A. V. Sutherland, E. Metois - Personal mail piece tracing and tracking mechanism - Filed Sep 28, 2001 - WO2002027618A2
- E. Metois, J. Smith - Data encoding and decoding using angular symbology - Filed Aug 2, 2001 - US20030026448A1
- J. M. Winograd, R. Petrovic, E. Metois, K. Jemili - Method and apparatus for preventing removal of embedded information in cover signals - Issued Nov 7, 2000 - US6145081A
- N. Gershenfeld, B. Schoner, E. Metois - Efficient synthesis of complex, driven systems - Issued Dec 14, 1999 - US6000833A
- R. Petrovic, J. M. Winograd, K. Jemili, E. Metois - Apparatus and method for encoding and decoding information in analog signals - Issued Aug 17, 1999 - US5940135A